Mandate and Purposes
CANSEE Students at our 2018 Symposium
Recognizing that economies are embedded in and dependent upon the ecosphere, and that economic activities are the most evident and pervasive aspect of that dependence, the mandate of CANSEE/SCANÉÉ is to develop and promote understanding of the nature and implications of this dependence through research, education, policy analysis, communication, and other means. The purposes of CANSEE/SCANÉÉ are inter alia to:
1. foster transdisciplinary discourse among the social and natural sciences;
2. provide a Canadian node for activities in ecological economics;
3. research and disseminate information on policies for sustainability globally, nationally, and locally; and
4. promote education, graduate research and research funding in ecological economics.
In order to fulfil its mandate and purposes, the roles and responsibilities of CANSEE/SCANÉÉ include:
1. Organizing a biennial conference on ecological economics in Canada in alternate years with World ISEE conferences. In so doing, the Executive Council should recognize the need for equitable geographical distribution of meeting locations in Canada over time.
2. Organizing biennial CANSEE/SCANÉÉ Business Meetings in conjunction with the biennial conference in Canada.
3. Promoting membership and participation in ISEE and CANSEE/SCANÉÉ.
4. Disseminating information to CANSEE/SCANÉÉ members through a CANSEE/SCANÉÉ newsletter, electronic mail, or other means. Items concerning CANSEE/SCANÉÉ and its activities will also be regularly submitted to ISEE for publication in the ISEE Newsletter.
5. Organizing and promoting other events and activities, highlighting Canadian experience in sustainability and ecological economics as appropriate.
6. Communicating to the people of Canada through the media the ecological economics approach to Canadian and global problems and disseminating key ideas from CANSEE/SCANÉÉ conference proceedings and papers.